Meet Steph Douglas: Founder of Don't Buy Her Flowers
Steph Douglas left a career in brand and marketing to start thoughtful gift company Don’t Buy Her Flowers in 2014. The idea came after she had her first baby and was inundated with flowers that were beautiful but required looking after at a time when she was feeling exhausted and overwhelmed.
Steph also writes an honest blog about motherhood and relationships, believing that we’re all in it together as none of us really knows what we’re doing. Steph is married to Doug and they have three children – Buster (7), Mabel (5) and baby Frank. She likes gin, dancing, and naps.
Find out more about Steph over on Instagram - @steph_dontbuyherflowers. on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/dontbuyherflowers on Twitter - @DBHFgiYou can also visit her website - https://dontbuyherflowers.com
Fav quotes from this episode:
“Adulting is about taking the rough with the smooth”
“You have to work out how to function and not get too depressed about it. That’s Life!”
“It’s so easy to forget what your milestones were… You have to stop and go...actually I did this!”
“You can’t really look at what other people are doing, you have to stay focused on yourself because you have no control over them.”
“Don’t chase the finish line, it’s exhausting, just enjoy the moment.”
In this episode we talk about:
- What it’s really like juggling motherhood and a successful business
- The realisation that you have to learn to celebrate the wins, but also acknowledge the struggles
- Find a community to SHARE this with so that you don’t feel like you’re doing it all alone.
- The “magic” two year point of most new business when everything changes
- Learning to delegate elements of your business to allow you to focus on overseeing,creating, and strategising is crucial for sanity and success.
- Realising that we can’t do everything
- Setting boundaries and rules to preserve your energy and sanity
Plus, hear Steph and I give you our “I am an adult but…” confessions.